The other day I had a radio talk with Voice of Khalsa in USA. I was repeatedly asked sharp questions by the same workers of Sikh’s for Justice dignitaries why I had sought of clarifications on their program of- 2020. I am very happy if the Sikh’s for Justice can carry out such a program as I am ignorant of how a referendum amongst the Sikh’s who are under the Hindu majority state can be carried out without the assistance of THIS (Theocratic Hindu Indian State)? As we know that last year the British government held a referendum in Scotland to seek the views of the Scottish people whether they wanted to separate from UK and have their own independent and sovereign state? Now I want to seek the advice of Sikh’s for Justice on how they will carry out such a referendum for the Sikh’s without the assistance and will of THIS? How they will take the result of the referendum to the UN Assembly as only independent and sovereign countries can take such a case to the UN General Assembly at New York.
I think, but I am not sure whether the result of such a referendum can be taken to the UN Human Rights Court at Geneva. There is no ill will to the leader of Sikh’s for Justice Mr. Gurpatwant Singh Pannu regarding his program on this issue. In fact I would be proud and happy if the Sikh’s for Justice would have this program carried through. On this very issue I have requested Sikh’s for Justicethat since general elections to the Punjab Assembly are to be held in 2017 and our party in its manifesto in the elections, even to the SGPC elections, we have stated that people who want Khalistan should vote for Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar). Therefore, I have requested Mr. Pannu’s party to consider our party’s plea whether before 2020 they would ask Sikh’s to vote on this issue because then we would have a similar certified referendum on the issue of what Sikh’s for Justice advocate for 2020.
In this radio show talk members of Sikh’s for Justice were agitated why I had said that in keeping with the Sikh tradition Mr. Pannu, now that he has been recognized as a Sikh leader should keep his hair and beard unshorn. I had to say that because it is my duty as the President of Shiromani Akali Dal (Amritsar) to remind the Sikh’s and their leader of the Sikh faith and religion. There was no malice.
Our party has been advocating that an independent and sovereign Sikh state can come into being through the right of self determination, which is recognized by the UN. But sadly THIS has not ratified these UN treaties so far. THIS has not ratified the following treaties, protocols and conventions of the UN:-
1. 1948 Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.
2. 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees.
3. 1954 Convention relating to Status of Stateless Persons.
4. 1960 Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples.
5. 1965 International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination.
6. 1966 Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.
7. 1967 Protocol Relating to the Status of Refugees. It is because there are still 30,000 Sikh Stateless refugees in Kashmir since 1947.
8. 1972 Treaty on the Limitation of Anti-Ballistic Missile System.
9. 1972 Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage. If this Convention had been followed, neither the Darbar Sahib, the Golden Temple would not have been reduced to rubble nor the Babri Masjid in 1992.
10. 1984 Convention against Torture and other Cruel Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
11. 1984 Safeguard and guaranteeing protection of the Rights of those facing the death penalty.
12. 1995 Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons.
13. 1996 Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.
14. 1997 Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of anti-Personnel Mines and their Destruction (the Ottawa Convention on the abolition of landmines).
15. 2001 Rome Statute, by virtue of which the International Criminal Court has been set up at the Hague.
16. 2010 The Convention on Cluster Munitions prohibits all use, stockpiling, production and transfer of Cluster Munitions.
THIS has also not implemented the order of the UN Security Council of 1948 which has laid out that a plebiscite should take place in Kashmir. It is sad that THIS does not honour the treaties, protocols and conventions of the UN though its constitution under article 51 states that it is obligatory on the Union government in Delhi to do so.
Sometimes back the UN had the right of self determination enforced in East Tamour and now this is an independent and sovereign country. I have quoted the news item appearing in The Tribune on dated 29th September 2015 and 30th September 2015.
Please see these news items which I think would apply to the Sikh’s in THIS as they have not voluntarily joined THIS in 1950, their two Sikh’s members S. Bhupinder Singh Mann and S. Hukam Singh rejected THIS constitution of 1950.
I apologies to these who were offended from amongst the Sikh’s for Justice party at my questioning of how the referendum this party is going to hold in 2020. The Catalonia strategy of voting for independence and sovereignty is the only method till today that I can think and know of till today. I would be highly grateful if I can be enlightened on how the Sikh’s would seek independence and sovereignty or through a referendum as advocated by Sikh’s for Justice. Simranjit Singh Mann